A little more about our new lab
Our new treadmill has been getting lots of comments since it arrived last week. Slat-belt treadmills are the ideal choice for gait analysis as they mimic outdoor running as closely as possible. Conventional treadmills create a stop effect between the belt surface and the running surface (dynamic friction) when the foot lands and can significantly change the way we run, making it impossible to accurately assess movement. We used to notice this with our old gait analysis sessions and would often favour outdoor video over the treadmill. Meanwhile outdoor video becomes inaccurate for other reasons including the effect of uneven surfaces. Our new treadmill delivers exceptional quality for movement analysis and also feels great to run on!
Markerless 3D motion analysis
Where before, you needed to be an elite athlete, visit a fully equipped biomechanics lab and spend a day to get the same parameters. With our new technology you have access to the same data in a fraction of the time.
How does it work?
- *Depth sensing cameras collect running motion data which is interpreted by the software using highly advanced algorithms
- The software uses data to extrapolate body segments from the raw data and build a segmented model of the runner
- The software performs rigorous kinematic and kinetic calculations to extract the angles, forces and timing in order to provide us with key running parameters
* Why depth cameras? Because quality 3D motion data can be obtained without body markers, making motion capture easier and faster than ever
Accuracy of our 3D gait software
Our new 'MotionMetrix' system has had it's parameters successfully validated by different independent institutes using standardized reference equipment:
- Position, angles and stride parameters against Qualisys Oqus 4 marker-based motion capture system
- Forces and temporal parameters against Kistler Gaitway system
- Running economy against VO2 using Oxycon Pro